1. There are so many things that happened in that first segment that made me want to turn off Raw. John Cena opened the show, again. Proposed a completely unnecessary “3 Stages Hell” match against Ryback (THEY’VE HAD ONE OTHER MATCH!). Ryback cut a horrible and generic promo. Then, in what could have been a helluva rub, Curtis Axel comes out to challenge the WWE Champion… but he comes out to a HORRIBLE remix of his fantastic theme music he debuted with last week. Why does WWE INSIST on shooting themselves in the foot when they actually produce something good?
2. Dean Ambrose vs. Kofi Kingston again? Normally I would despise this booking. I hate when the WWE feels they need to put the same guys in the same matches week after week, especially when it includes Kofi Kingston. But damn do Ambrose and Kingston work well together! I’d really like to see Ambrose one-on-one with other upper-midcarders for the US title but anytime the US champion & Dean Ambrose can be featured on Raw is a good thing.
Ryback is Satan?
After the usual Memorial Day video package, and our first recap of the night, John Cena came out. Cena came out and said there was a lot of unrest in the building. He said there was also controversy after Extreme Rules, since neither man could answer the referee’s ten count. That means both men have a right to the WWE Championship. And last week Ryback wanted to solve that dilemma with an Ambulance Match. Cena said that at Payback, it is going to be a Three Stages of Hell Match. The first stage is a Lumberjack Match, the second a Tables Match, and finally an ambulance match. Cena said after he wins the first two falls, the ambulance from the third stage would be used to drive Ryback out of the building.
This past Monday on RAW we saw the beginning of what looks like a “Triple H/Concussion” storyline on RAW. We also saw the beginning of what looks to be a significant push for Curtis Axel, the former Michael McGillicutty. By the time the night was over, I think it was pretty clear that neither one of these angles are going to work.
Hello everyone. I’m back with my second review of WWE Main Event this week!
Alberto del Rio vs Big E Langston
-A rematch from RAW already? Surprised this wasn’t saved for Smackdown. I’m sure Teddy Long must have some kind of tag team match planned instead.
-If you ask me, A.J. Lee has been the most watchable Diva in the WWE since Trish Stratus left. She plays her part as a manager perfectly and she has made the psycho crazy chick gimmick work. And she is good in the ring to top it off. Of course, who doesn’t love her finisher too?
1. It’s something subtle but giving Ryback a promo on top of an expensive prop like an ambulance really makes him seem like a bigger star in the fans eyes. Not everyone does something like that and while he still needs a lot of work in the promo delivery department, this is a small step in the ring direction for a guy who’s heel character soured quickly. I also like that he dropped the leather jacket for a “Stone Cold” vest. A guy as massive as he is shouldn’t be wearing a thick coat as part of his gimmick. But please ditch “Ryback Rules”… it truly is one of the worst catchphrases in recent memory.
2. Chris Jericho might be the “Man Of 1,004 Holds” but Wade Barrett is the man of 1,000 theme songs. And they’re all bad. The scary part is that they seem to be getting worse as time goes on.
Ryback: Facts of Life Fan
RAW started with Ryback making an entrance via ambulance. Ryback stood on top of the ambulance and said there was no winner last night. And while John Cena walked away with the WWE Championship, he didn’t walk away, he was carried away. They showed footage of Cena refusing medical attention last night. Ryback said the next time they meet, Cena won’t refuse. Ryback said he didn’t give a damn about what people thought anymore. He proposed an Ambulance Match against John Cena at Payback. Ryback then began to rip on the crowd, calling them fat and weak and that they would skip an ambulance and go straight to the morgue. He called them pathetic for worshipping John Cena. Ryback said he would take John Cena to the morgue at Payback, and there is only one fact of life, “Ryback Rules.”
1. This is the first time I’ve been able to see the new preshow and the idea is growing on me. I like the idea of using different superstars/legends every time & also the fact that it doesn’t seem to be scripted at all. It allows some of the better talkers to show what they can do when not handed a script from a writer. I’m intrigued to see who is on future shows and who sinks or swims. That being said, there’s no way in hell I’m staying awake for a PPV post-show. For a company who already knows they have too much programming, why the hell would they add more?!
2. Dean Ambrose vs Kofi Kingston was one of the best matches of the year thus far. The only time the match’s paced slowed was when Ambrose locked on the classic Bob Backlund “Crossface Chicken Wing”. The ground game of Ambrose played off of Kingston’s aerial moves perfectly and the finish clean! A heel actually won a championship cleanly! Great match and great chemistry between these two wrestlers and I recommend going out of your way to see these match when you can.